Sunday, January 25, 2009

Favorite Poem #2: Ultimatum by Dorothy Parker

I'm wearied of wearying love, my friend,
Of worry and strain and doubt;
Before we begin, let us view the end,
And maybe I'll do without.
There's never the pang that was worth the tear,
And toss in the night I won't-
So either you do or you don't, my dear,
Either you do or you don't!

The table is ready, so lay your cards
And if they should augur pain,
I'll tender you ever my kind regards
And run for the fastest train.
I haven't the will to be spent and sad;
My heart's to be gay and true-
Then either you don't or you do, my lad,
Either you don't or you do!


Dorothy Parker is one of my favorite poets because of her blunt, satirical and feminist take on life. I liked this poem very much because of the conversational style she chooses to have the speaker take on. Discussing whether to fall in love and begin a relationship but, in a funny brash tone. "Before we begin, let us view the end,And maybe I'll do without." The speakers tone is like a strain of emotions, just waiting for the reaction of their lover. I like how she lists what could happen but cuts herself short because she doesn't want to dwell on what could happen and just wants to know if it can, "I haven't the will to be spent and sad; My heart's to be gay and true-Then either you don't or you do, my lad, Either you don't or you do!" I like how blunt this statement is, of the ultimatum of love. She successfully expresses the pain in the unknowing reaction of the ultimatum reciever from the ultimatum giver. I felt that Parker was summing up relationships and love as being two people who either do or don't. Simplistically solving one of the most complicated things in a young persons life.

No comments: